MINUTES OF THE REGULAR BOARD MEETING EXECUTIVE SESSION
OF THE ZION-BENTON PUBLIC LIBRARY DISTRICT
January 27, 2015
The purpose of the Executive Session was to discuss the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(1).
President Andersson called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m.
ROLL CALL: Present: Yadira Guzman; Mary Martin; Beverly Mull; Stephanie Smith; Matthew St. Cyr; and George Andersson. Absent: Wendy Driver. Staff Present: Carol Dolin; Tara Caldara; and Elsie Martinez.
Mrs. Martinez gave a summary of the culture in the Adult Services department during the past two years. When she was hired, she spoke with each department member and developed new goals for staff and the department. Staff were evaluated based on five different goals. She stated there was some progress, but overall, staff were not working as a team, nor did they create innovative programs or services.
Ms. Dolin reviewed employment files and interviewed all of the Adult Services staff. She and Mrs. Martinez developed more specific expectations for each staff member and changed their salaries to better align them with the job functions. They set a second meeting date to evaluate progress after 60 days. In most cases, little or no progress was made.
Ms. Dolin outlined the next steps, which include:
- Present rewritten job descriptions for positions in the Adult Services department.
- Notify staff that they need to apply for the position they feel best matches their skills, abilities, knowledge, and work interests.
- Interview department staff who apply.
- If there are open positions, post openings in-house for all staff to apply, and interview candidates.
- If there are open positions, post openings with outside sources and interview candidates.
Trustees noted that staff in the Adult Services department are unapproachable and expressed support for this plan of action.
The board reconvened in open session at 8:04 p.m.
Approved: February 24, 2015
Signed: /s/ Matthew St. Cyr, President Pro Tem
Attest: /s/ Mary E. Martin, Secretary
Recording Secretary: Carol Dolin
Reviewed 2/24/15, 8/25/15 and retained. TC
Reviewed 2/23/16 and released. CD