MINUTES OF THE REGULAR BOARD MEETING OF THE
ZION-BENTON PUBLIC LIBRARY DISTRICT
April 22, 2014
President George Andersson called the meeting to order at 6:32 p.m.
ROLL CALL: Present: Wendy Driver, Yadira Guzman, Mary Martin*, Stephanie Smith, Matthew St. Cyr and George Andersson. Absent: Beverly Mull. Staff present: Tara Caldara, Nann Blaine Hilyard, Elsie Martinez, Rosemary Kauth and Sarah Washkoviak. Visitors present: Sebastian St. Cyr.
Mr. Andersson appointed Mrs. Smith as Secretary Pro Tem.
AGENDA: Mr. Andersson presented the agenda and deleted item X.a Executive Session.
Motion: Mrs. Smith moved to adopt the agenda as amended. Second: Mr. St. Cyr. Roll Call: Aye: Driver, Guzman, Smith, St. Cyr and Andersson. Nay: -0-. Abstain: -0-. Motion carried.
COMMENTS BY VISITORS: There were no visitor comments.
MINUTES: The minutes of the March 25, 2014 regular meeting were presented. Motion: Mrs. Driver moved to approve the minutes from the March 25, 2014 regular meeting as presented. Second: Mrs. Smith. Roll Call: Aye: Driver, Smith and Andersson. Nay: -0-. Abstain: Guzman and St. Cyr. Motion carried.
The minutes of the March 25, 2014 Executive Session were presented. Motion: Mrs. Driver moved to approve the minutes from the March 25, 2014 Executive Session as presented. Second: Mrs. Smith. Roll Call: Aye: Driver, Smith and Andersson. Nay: -0-. Abstain: Guzman and St. Cyr. Motion carried.
*Mrs. Martin entered at 6:36 p.m.
TREASURER’S AND INVESTMENT REPORT: The treasurer’s and investment report for March 2014 was presented. Ms. Caldara reported that an overpayment was made to IMRF in February and would be credited on the April bill. Ms. Hilyard reported that the county tax extension calculations are finished and that the Partners in Reading campaign has collected $4,490 to date.
BILLS: The list of bills for April 2014 was presented for approval. Motion: Mr. St. Cyr moved to approve payment of wire transfers and checks #38799-38883, in the amount of $170,505.01. Second: Mrs. Guzman. Roll Call: Aye: Driver, Guzman, Martin, Smith, St. Cyr and Andersson. Nay: -0-. Abstain: -0-. Motion carried.
REPORTS: There were no other reports.
LIBRARY DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Ms. Hilyard presented the statistical, narrative, staff PLA and incident reports for April. A long discussion ensued about the incident with the After School Program. Ms. Caldara provided statistics on eResource usage that was not received in time for the report:
Brainfuse [Sessions]: March – 677 | YTD – 9,878 | Previous YTD – 11,427 | -13.3%
Gale Testing & Education Reference [Sessions]: March – 5 | YTD – 143 | Previous YTD – 15 | +853.3%
ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE:
- The library was featured in a TechSoup article titled, “Leaner Library Loaner Laptops: Tips from the Pro,” which was published on TechSoup’s blog on 4/22/14.
- New computer tables arrived and were installed in Youth Services.
- Volunteers have helped clean up the patron database and relabel thousands of music CDs.
- 37 bags of Bernie’s Books have been given out in partnership with the Coalition for Healthy Communities’ Nursery Rhyme program.
- Sarah and Nann are giving books away through the World Book Night program.
COMMUNICATIONS: The following communications were presented.
- An article from the 4/9/14 edition of the Lake County News-Sun about the Books! Authors! And More! program.
- A thank you from the Winthrop Harbor Lions Club for supporting the Steak and Egg Breakfast.
- A comment in the suggestion box about noise in the adult study area.
- A comment in the suggestion box about playing the piano.
- A letter returning a ZB Library card found in North Carolina.
- Compliments for Angela, Elsie, Sara and Tim.
- Staff Day evaluations.
TRUSTEE DEVELOPMENT: Mr. St. Cyr presented a summary of Chapter 8 from the Trustee Facts File, 4th Edition.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS: Trustees discussed the Director Search. Mr. Andersson reported that Tom Rich Consulting had been hired to conduct the search and a meeting will be planned soon.
NEW BUSINESS: There was no new business.
Ms. Hilyard left the meeting at 7:35 p.m. Trustees discussed a retirement gift for Ms. Hilyard.
ADJOURNMENT: Motion: Mr. St. Cyr moved to adjourn the meeting. Second: Mrs. Smith. Roll Call: Aye: Driver, Guzman, Martin, Smith, St. Cyr and Andersson. Nay: -0-. Abstain: -0-. Motion carried.
The meeting adjourned at 8:10 p.m.
Approved: May 27, 2014.
Signed: /s/ George Andersson
George Andersson, President
Attest: /s/ Matthew St. Cyr
Matthew St. Cyr, Secretary Pro Tem
Recording Secretary: Tara Caldara